Skip to main content

1892

Luebben Round Baler
Society: ASABEMain Category: Agricultural & BiologicalEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 1892Pioneer VillageMindenState: NEZip: 68959Country: USAWebsite: https://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/luebben-round-baler-31.aspxCreator: Luebben, Hugh

Luebben Hay Baler - Historic Landmark of Agricultural Engineering. In 1892, Hugh Luebben from Sutton, Nebraska, with sons Melchior and Ummo built a mobile machine to produce round hay bales between two sets of rotating flat belts. They began manufacturing the baler in 1909 in Beatrice and later moved to Omaha, Nebraska. Allis-Chalmers purchased the patent in 1939 and eventually sold 77,200 "Roto-Balers." The Luebben baler made handling easier, improved hay quality, and reduced costs. The same basic design is used on modern large round balers.

YearAdded:
1993
Internal Combustion Tractor
Society: ASABEMain Category: Agricultural & BiologicalSub Category: VehiclesEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 1892Floyd County MuseumCharles CityState: IAZip: 50616Country: USAWebsite: https://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/internal-combustion-tractor-35.aspxCreator: Froehlich, John H.

In 1892, John H. Froehlich, Froehlich, IA, Mounted A Gasoline Fueled Internal Combustion Engine On A Traction Geared Frame And Used It To Power A Threshing Machine. A Change In Power Source Had Begun On North American Farms. In 1892, The Case Co., Racine, Wi, Built An Experimental Gas Traction Engine. In 1898 A Patent Was Issued To The Van Duzen Co. Cincinnati, OH, For A Gasoline Traction Engine. Huber Mnfg., Marion, Oh, Bought This Patent In 1898 And Produced 30 Prototype Units. In 1902, Hart-Parr, Founded By Charles W. Hart And Charles H.

YearAdded:
1998
Image Credit: Courtesy WikiCommons/RifeIdeas (CC BY-SA 3.0)Image Caption: Floyd County Museum, which houses an early model of the Hart-Parr tractor
Corn Silage Harvester
Society: ASABEMain Category: Agricultural & BiologicalSub Category: Equipment, Harvesting and BalingEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 1892Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering BuildingFalcon HeightsState: MNZip: 55108Country: USAWebsite: https://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/corn-silage-harvester-26.aspx

Charles C. Fenno Of Grinnell, Ia, Patented The First Field Corn Silage Harvester On April 19, 1892. His Ground-Powered Machine Cut The Corn Plant And Fed The Tassel End First To A Rotary Cutter. Joseph Weigel Of Flandreau, Sd, Improved Fenno's Harvester In 1912 By Adding An Engine To Power The Cutter And By Feeding The Stalks Butt End First. Andrean And Adolph Ronning, Farmers Of Boyd, Mn Patented Further Improvements In 1915. In 1918 The American Harvester Co. Of Minneapolis, Mn, Began Manufacturing The Horse-Drawn Ronning Harvester Using Weigel's Patent Too.

YearAdded:
1992
Morison's Memphis Bridge
Society: ASCEMain Category: CivilSub Category: BridgesEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 1892Mississippi RiverMemphisState: TNZip: 38106Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asce.org/Project/Morison-s-Memphis-Bridge/Creator: Morison, George

The Memphis Bridge (now called the Frisco Bridge) comprises three spans across the Mississippi River. With a main span measuring over 790 feet, it was one of the longest railroad bridges in the world upon completion. The renowned George Morison, after whom the bridge is unofficially named, served as Chief Engineer.

YearAdded:
1987
Image Credit: Public Domain (National Park Service)Image Caption: Morison's Memphis BridgeEra_date_from: 1892
Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: Food ProcessingEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 18928801 Citation RoadEssexState: MDZip: 21221Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history/landmarks/topics-a-l/food-processing/-174-crown-cork-and-soda-filling-machine-%281892%29Creator: Painter, William
Although bottled carbonated beverages were popular by the 1880s, sealing the bottle was a constant problem. Most "stoppers" were of metal and intended for reuse. None sealed adequately, and contact with the cap often contaminated the drink. In 1892 (Feb 2), William Painter (1838-1906) patented a cheap, single-use metallic cap, crimped over a lip formed on the bottle neck and lined with a thin cork wafer that both formed a leakproof seal and separated drink and metal.
YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Courtesy Wikipedia/KMJ (CC BY-SA 3.0)Image Caption: Crown Cork and Soda Filling MachineEra_date_from: 1892
Subscribe to 1892
Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.