Farnborough's aeronautical history began in 1905 with the arrival of HM Balloon Factory in 1905, headed by Lt Col J.L.B. Templer. In 1908, the first powered aeroplane flight in Great Britain took place here, piloted by Samuel Cody. In 1912, Lord Trenchard established the first headquarters of the Royal Flying Corps and in 1918 the Royal Aircraft Establishment was founded. Throughout the first century of aviation, Farnborough has been a leading centre for aeronautical research, with a worldwide reputation for scientific advance and innovation in all aspects of aerospace technology.