Skip to main content

DayGlo Fluorescent Pigments

Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Date: 1936
Category:
Creator(s): Switzer, Robert and Joseph

DayGlo fluorescent pigments, a new class of pigments based on fluorescent dyes and polymeric materials, were developed between the 1930s and 1950s by scientists at Switzer Brothers, Inc. (now Day-Glo Color Corp.). These pigments absorb various light frequencies (visible and invisible to the human eye) and reemit them, producing intense visible colors that appear to glow, even in daylight. Switzer Brothers, Inc., introduced novel processes that eliminated the limitations in light fastness and color strength of earlier fluorescent pigments, resulting in new applications in advertising, packaging, flaw detection and safety. These products were used to support Allied troops during World War II, were immortalized in psychedelic posters of the 1960s, and are familiar today in the bright colors of toys, construction cones and safety vests.

Era: 1930s
Innovation designated by:
Signs
Signs are one common use for DayGlo fluorescent pigments.
Address:
Day-Glo Color Corp.
4515 St Clair Ave
Cleveland, OH, USA

Day-Glo Color Corp.

We hope you enjoyed this essay.

Please support this 70-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.

Donate

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.