Skip to main content

Reynolds-Corliss Pumping Engine

Location: Jacksonville, FL, USA
Date: 1917
Category:
Creator(s): Allis-Chalmers Company

Installed alongside an Epping Carpenter pump that was later scrapped, this water pump was built by Allis-Chalmers, which for many years had Edwin Reynolds as its chief engineer. Driven by a Corliss steam engine, these large city water pumps were installed in Jacksonville's water supply improvement program in 1915, and each pumped 5 million gallons of water a day until 1930 when the first of the electric-driven peripheral pumping stations began operating. Steam engine operation was discontinued in 1956.

Tags: Era: 1900-1909
Innovation designated by:
Reynolds-Corliss Pumping Engine
Courtesy ASME
Main Street Pumping Station - Jacksonville Water Department - 1917
Old Plant in Foreground - Landmark Reynolds-corliss Engine and
Allis Chalmers Pump Located in the Building in the Background.
View Looking North From Hogan's Creek
Address:
Main Street Pumping Station
182 North Main Street
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Main Street Pumping Station

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.