In 1932, J. O. Smith, Agricultural Engineer at Delta Branch Experiment Station in Stoneville, MS, attached a small anhydrous ammonia cylinder to a plow in such a manner that the NH3 was released in the soil. The plow, a Georgia Stock, was pulled by a gray mule named Ike. This was the first known use of anhydrous ammonia as a soil-applied crop fertilizer. The crude apparatus and the anhydrous ammonia it applied provided a much needed source of nitrogen for the otherwise rich alluvial soils of the Mississippi Delta.
Society: ASABEMain Category: Agricultural & BiologicalSub Category: ChemicalEra: 1930-1939DateCreated: 1932Delta Research and Extension CenterStonevilleState: MSZip: 38776Country: USAWebsite: https://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/anhydrous-ammonia-application-technology-56.aspxCreator: Edwards, Felix, Smith, J. O., Andrews, W. B.
YearAdded:Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/thirteenofclubs (CC BY-SA 2.0)