Skip to main content

Andrews, W. B.

Anhydrous Ammonia Application Technology
Society: ASABEMain Category: Agricultural & BiologicalSub Category: ChemicalEra: 1930-1939DateCreated: 1932Delta Research and Extension CenterStonevilleState: MSZip: 38776Country: USAWebsite: https://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/anhydrous-ammonia-application-technology-56.aspxCreator: Edwards, Felix, Smith, J. O., Andrews, W. B.

In 1932, J. O. Smith, Agricultural Engineer at Delta Branch Experiment Station in Stoneville, MS, attached a small anhydrous ammonia cylinder to a plow in such a manner that the NH3 was released in the soil.  The plow, a Georgia Stock, was pulled by a gray mule named Ike.  This was the first known use of anhydrous ammonia as a soil-applied crop fertilizer.  The crude apparatus and the anhydrous ammonia it applied provided a much needed source of nitrogen for the otherwise rich alluvial soils of the Mississippi Delta. 

YearAdded:
2011
Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/thirteenofclubs (CC BY-SA 2.0)Image Caption: Anhydrous Ammonia is one of the cheapest forms of nitrogen fertilizer available on the market. However because it is such a hazardous material and is difficult to apply, many farmers choose to hire third party businesses to store and apply the fertilizer.
Subscribe to Andrews, W. B.

We hope you enjoyed this essay.

Please support this 70-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.

Donate

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.