Delta Air Lines’ historic buildings consist of two aircraft hangers and several office buildings at the Delta World Headquarters site constructed between 1941 and 1947. On March 1, 1941, Delta Air Lines moved its corporate headquarters to Atlanta, constructing offices space and Hangar 1, the largest aircraft hangar in the Southeast United States at what was then Atlanta Municipal Airport. The airport was later renamed Hartsfield – Jackson International Airport in honor of Atlanta Mayors William B. Hartsfield and Maynard H. Jackson Jr. In 1947 Delta Air Lines doubled the size of the headquarters site by building Hangar 2 and an executive office building. In addition to being the oldest buildings at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, the 1940s Delta Air Line buildings serve as important artifacts of the historic partnership between the leaders of Delta Air Lines, the City of Atlanta, and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport, and their shared conviction that air commerce would become one of the main engines of America’s economic prosperity.
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
Courtesy Wikicommons/Mav (CC BY-SA 3.0)