The Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Railroad was the first railroad to link Chicago and the Mississippi River, in the 1850s. This forty-stall roundhouse, large even for its time, became a major center for railroad activity for the CB&Q. It served as a repair and construction facility from which more locomotives and cars than any other CB&Q installation were built. Steam engines, passenger cars, freight cars, precision parts, tools, and machines were designed and built, beginning about 1858.
Waterhouse, Levi Hull
Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: Rail TransportationEra: 1850-1859DateCreated: 1850s205 N Broadway StreetAuroraState: ILZip: 60505Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history/landmarks/topics-m-z/rail-transportation---2/-132-chicago-burlington---quincy-railroad-roundhouCreator: Waterhouse, Levi Hull
YearAdded:Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/EarlRShumaker (CC BY 2.0)Era_date_from: 1850s