Skip to main content

Testing

Society: AIAAMain Category: Aerospace & AviationSub Category: ResearchEra: 1940-1949DateCreated: 19464455 Genesee StreetBuffaloState: NYZip: 14225Country: USAWebsite: https://www.aiaa.org/uploadedFiles/About_AIAA/News_Room/Cornell_PR2010.pdfCreator: Wright Brothers, Curtiss, Glenn

Tracing its history to the earliest days of powered flight – to the Wright brothers and Glenn Curtiss – the site began as the research laboratory of the Curtiss-Wright Aircraft Company. After World War II, it was donated to Cornell University, and in January 1946 opened its doors as the Cornell Aeronautical Laboratory. Nearly every military aircraft and space vehicle developed in the United States from the end of World War II until the present day has been tested at the facility, now known as Calspan.

YearAdded:
2010
Image Caption: Ronald Patterson, a Cornell Aeronautical Labs technician, poses with a prototype of the lab's famous "man-amplifier" concept in 1961.Era_date_from: 1946
Subscribe to Testing

We hope you enjoyed this essay.

Please support this 70-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.

Donate

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.