Chartered in 1825, the Louisville and Portland Canal Company was authorized to construct a canal around the rapids called the "Falls of the Ohio." Construction started on March 1, 1826. The canal and first generation of locks were completed in 1830. As originally constructed, the canal was 1.9 miles long, 64 feet wide, and terminated at its lower end with a three-flight lock system with a total lift of 26 feet. Each lock chamber was 198 feet long between miter posts, with available length for vessels of 183 feet, width of 52 feet, and a lift at low stages of 8.5 feet.
Society: ASCEMain Category: CivilSub Category: Water TransportationEra: 1830-1839DateCreated: 1830LouisvilleState: KYZip: 40202Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asce.org/Project/Louisville-and-Portland-Canal-Locks---Dam/Creator: Louisville and Portland Canal Company
YearAdded:Image Credit: public domainEra_date_from: 1830