Skip to main content

THEY'RE STILL THERE

Hot Type

Summer 1993 | Volume 9 |  Issue 1
 

In 1915 San Francisco threw a tremendous party—the Panama-Pacific International Exposition—to ratify the city’s recovery from the 1906 earthquake. Among the guests were several machines sent by the Lanston Monotype Company of Philadelphia to demonstrate the speed, fluency, and accuracy with which they cast type. These were in the care of a Massachusetts printer named George W. Mackenzie, and when the fair was over, he bought them and set up the first Monotype composition plant in San Francisco. Mackenzie printed mainly rate cards and timetables and the like—tabular work—but when he took a partner in 1924, the operation began to change. For Carroll T. Harris was a superb and imaginative printer, and in time he was supplying type not only to the great San Francisco printers—John Henry Nash, Edwin and Robert Grabhorn—but to the nation at large.

Then the world changed, and what had become the Mackenzie-Harris Corporation began shifting to computer typesetting, and the oldest and largest hot-type operation in America passed into the hands of a Midwestern businessman who didn’t care a damn about it. And that would have been that—except that those Monotypes had an unusual client.

Andrew Hoyem came to San Francisco about half a century after the Monotype machines. A prospective Columbia University graduate student seduced away from political science by the verse of Ezra Pound, he went to San Francisco, fell in with what he describes as “a little beatnik press,” and was caught up in the twin disciplines of literature and printing that would shape his life. He became a master of fine printing, worked in partnership with Robert Grabhorn, and assembled a near-definitive collection of lead type. In 1974 he established his own press—Arion—and started issuing superbly printed publications. Arion Press became Mackenzie-Harris’s largest customer, and when the foundry came close to perishing, Andrew Hoyem bought it.

Today the two linked concerns—Arion Press and M&H Type—share what must be one of the most attractive industrial sites in the land. In the front is a little museum, and in the back is the type foundry. In between is calm, orderly, concentrated work amid ravishing materials: leather; deep, nubbly, creamy paper; brass; and clean new silver slugs of lead.

 

Beyond the activity is the heart—or soul—of the place, the hundreds and hundreds of type trays. Each is identified by face—72 Shadow, Caslon Roman, Goudy Title. There are little drawers of special characters like the pointing finger that was a ubiquitous fixture on nineteenth-century handbills.

It’s called “the fist” in the trade, Hoyem explains as he leads me out of the world of paper into the world of metal. Here with steady insectile busyness the Monotype machines spit out new lead type. “You know,” he says, “someone called the Monotype machine the absolute epitome of the Industrial Revolution, because it’s so much more effective than what went before. It’s not only a beautiful thing, but what it produces is so aesthetically refined.” The machines’ beauty lies in the suppleness with which they do their job. They’re not picturesque like some old machinery; they go about their work with such purposeful efficiency that they have no look of the archaic.

We hope you enjoyed this essay.

Please support this 70-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.

Donate

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.