Built by Robert Stephenson to carry the Chester and Holyhead Railway across the River Conwy, this bridge was erected between 1846 and 1848. It consists of a single span 400 feet long, formed by two parallel rectangular wrought iron tubes, each weighing 1300 tons. Masonry towers were built on the abutments and topped with battlements and turrets to harmonize with the nearby Conwy Castle. The Conwy Tubular Bridge was the first railway bridge in which trains ran through the main girders. It represents a pioneering use of wrought iron for bridges.
Society: ASCEMain Category: CivilSub Category: Bridges, Roads & RailsEra: 1840-1849DateCreated: 1849River ConwyState: North WhalesCountry: UKWebsite: http://www.asce.org/Project/Conwy-Tubular-Bridge/Creator: Stephenson, Robert
YearAdded:Image Credit: Original Photo: Flickr/Glenn J. MasonEra_date_from: 1849
Society: ASCEMain Category: CivilSub Category: BridgesEra: 1800-1829DateCreated: 1826River ConwyState: North WalesCountry: UKWebsite: http://www.asce.org/Project/Conwy-Suspension-Bridge/Creator: Telford, Thomas
When a new road bridge was constructed alongside it, plans were made to demolish the Conwy Suspension Bridge. There was a national outcry and, since 1958, the bridge has been in the care of the National Trust and closed to vehicular traffic.
YearAdded:Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/Verity Cridland (CC BY 2.0)Era_date_from: 1826