Skip to main content

1994

Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: Food ProcessingEra: 1890-1899DateCreated: 1898Clyde's Cider MillOld MysticState: CTZip: 06355Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history/landmarks/topics-a-l/food-processing/-181-bf-clyde-s-cider-mill-%281898%29Creator: Clyde, Benjamin, Boomer & Boschert
Clyde's mill is a rare survivor of a once-commonplace seasonal rural industry. Until recently a cider mill could be found in every community where apples were grown. In the fall, mills converted the fruit of the orchard into drink just as the grist mill converted the grain into flour. Although cider was produced on individual farms for private use, the centrally located mill became popular for farmers who would sell surplus apples to the mill and bring back the juice to ferment into hard cider. In 1881 Benjamin Clyde began pressing his apples at local mills and soon rented his own press.
YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/Erica Peterson (CC BY 2.0)Image Caption: The steam-powered cider press of BF Clyde's Cider Mill in action.Era_date_from: 1898
Chandler Chemistry Laboratory
Society: ACSMain Category: ChemicalSub Category: Cradles of ChemistryEra: 1860-1869DateCreated: 1865Chandler-Ullmann HallBethlehemState: PAZip: 18015Country: USAWebsite: https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/chandlerlaboratory.html, https://www.acs.org/content/dam/acsorg/education/whatischemistry/landmarks/chandlerlaboratory/chandler-laboratory-at-lehigh-university-historical-resource.pdfCreator: Chandler, William Henry , Hutton, Addison

The William H. Chandler Chemistry Laboratory was conceived and planned by William Henry Chandler (1841-1906), professor, chairman, librarian, and acting president of Lehigh University. Designed by Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton and erected between 1884 and 1885 at a cost of $200,000, the building set the standard for laboratory construction for the next half century.

YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Public Domain; Produced prior to 1/1/1923Image Caption: Chandler Chemistry LaboratoryEra_date_from: 1865
Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: TextileEra: 1910-1919DateCreated: 1914307 North Main StreetBurtonState: TXZip: 77835Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history/landmarks/topics-m-z/textile/-173-burton-farmers-gin-mill-%281914%29Creator: Lummus Cotton Gin Company
This is the earliest known survivor of an integrated cotton ginning system widely used to process cotton from wagon to bale in a continuous operation. The gin machinery was designed and built in 1914 by the Lummus Cotton Gin Company. It can process seven bales per hour. Five gin stands, stick machine, burr machine, separators, cleaners, press pump, and pneumatic conveying fans are driven by a 125-hp Bessemer oil engine. This gin ran commercially until 1974 and was restored to operating condition in 1993.
YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Courtesy Flickr/John W. Schulze (CC BY 2.0)Image Caption: Burton Farmers Gin MillEra_date_from: 1914
Bay City Walking Dredge
Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: Materials Handling & ExcavationEra: 1920-1929DateCreated: 1924Collier-Seminole State ParkNaplesState: FLZip: 34114Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/about-asme/history/landmarks/topics-m-z/materials-handling-and-excavation/-172-bay-city-walking-dredge-%281924%29Creator: Bay City Dredge Works, Anderson, Vincent

Built by the Bay City Dredge Works of Bay City, Michigan, this dredge was used to construct a portion of US 41 called the Tamiami Trail, which connected Tampa with Miami through the Everglades and Big Cypress Swamp. The last remaining display of walking dredges (of some 145 walking machines), it has a unique propulsion design enabling the dredge to cope with drainage problems in a wetlands environment.

YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Courtesy Wikipedia/Ebyabe (CC BY-SA 3.0)Image Caption: The Bay City Walking Dredge as it sits in Collier-Seminole State ParkEra_date_from: 1924
Bergen County Steam Collection
Society: ASMEMain Category: MechanicalSub Category: SteamEra: 1900-1909DateCreated: 1900sBergen County Technical SchoolsParamusState: NJZip: 07652Country: USAWebsite: http://www.asme.org/About-ASME/History/Landmarks/Topics-A-L/Electric-Power-Production-Steam/-175-Bergen-County-Steam-Collection, http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5502.pdfCreator: Bergen Tech Students, Vopasek, Frank

This collection of equipment—all of it maintained in operating condition and used for educational purposes—was established in 1987. It spans the period from the late 19th century to the 1940s, when steam was the prime motive force for most U.S. industries, including rail and marine transportation. The collection of about 25 items (mostly stationary steam) includes a locomotive, switcher, and steam tractor: Locomotive #385 Consolidation 2-8-0 designed for fast freight service was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia in November 1907 for the Southern Railway.

YearAdded:
1994
Image Credit: Courtesy ASMEImage Caption: Locomotive #385 built by the Baldwin Locomotive
Works of Philadelphia, PA in 1907 for the
Southern Railway. Now part of the Bergen County Steam Collection
Era_date_from: 1900s
Subscribe to 1994

We hope you enjoyed this essay.

Please support this 70-year tradition of trusted historical writing and the volunteers that sustain it with a donation to American Heritage.

Donate

Stay informed - subscribe to our newsletter.
The subscriber's email address.